Official language: Italian
Italians refer to their homeland as “Il bel paese” – the beautiful country. In Goethe’s classic “Italian Journey”, he calls Italy the “garden of Europe.”
Italy offers visitors an abundance of riches to explore. Because of its position at the center of Mediterranean trade, the Italian peninsula has long been central to a confluence of cultures. This ancient land never ceases to amaze, providing fresh discoveries and unexpected pleasures in many different ways. Italy isn’t just for travelers who crave the world’s best pizzas, pastas and wines. The legendary regional foods and the world famous wines in this uniquely boot-shaped country are some of the reasons to visit Italy, but topping the UNESCO list of world heritages sites, historical cafes that line elegant piazzas, the historic cities, snow-capped majestic and scenic mountains, pristine coastlines, pastel houses on the Amalfi coast and Cinque Terre built into sheer cliffs above the sea, Renaissance paintings and marble sculptures that will leave you awestruck and inspired and endless museums will assure you that one visit is not enough.
EXPERIENCE THE REAL ITALY
When you travel with me, you will discover there is more to Italy than you likely know about. My customized private tours of Italy can include the must-see sights, from the Colosseum and ruins of ancient Rome to the lagoon city of Venice, but also places only locals know about, places beyond the beaten path, providing you with a very unique travel experience. You could find yourself truffle hunting, hiking in Cinque Terre, enjoying farm tours, tasting local specialty products, relishing in winery tours and tastings, taking a cooking lesson, seeing artisan demonstrations, visiting quaint villages, staying in unique and charming accommodations but most importantly, experiencing the Italian lifestyle and culture through its art, history, food and people.
Taking full advantage of my first-hand experience throughout the country, in-depth knowledge and expertise of how to “experience” Italy, together with my in-country associates, I will help you plan a unique tour of Italy. I offer the “experience” of the country, not just a tour.
Join me on a customized private guided tour; find out why my clients love to travel with me, and discover some of the best Italy has to offer.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO IN ITALY
You have many options. Here are some of the highlights you could choose to include in your customized private tour with me:
- Take a Gondola ride in Venice
- Admire Siena’s beautiful Gothic cathedral
- Experience ancient history with a Rome Colosseum tour, or a Roman Forum tour
- Savor a night at the opera with Scala Milan tickets
- Lounge over an “aperitivo” and banquet of sumptuous antipasti in one of Turin’s historic café bars
- Discover Civita di Bagnoregio, the jewel on the hill
- Marvel at the priceless masterpieces of Da Vinci and Botticelli with a Florence Uffizi Gallery tour, and catch a glimpse of Michelangelo’s David at the Galleria dell’ Accademia on a Florence private walking tour
- Visit the Verona of Shakespear’s Romeo and Juliet
- Take a tour of Pompeii, a thriving commercial town until Mt. Vesuvius erupted in AD79
- Marvel at the gardens on the Borromean Island of Lake Maggiore
- Eat the world’s best pizza in Naples
- Experience a special event like the Palio in Siena
- Visit Siracusa Sicily and take a “passegiatta” in the old town
- Toast in “The Spy Who Loved Me” bar in Sardinia
- Drink Limoncello on an Amalfi Coast tour
- Visit the best preserved Greek temples on the Italian mainland through a Paestum tour
- Take a tour of Matera, the location of the Mel Gibson film “The Passion of Christ”
- Make pasta in Bologna, the food capital of Italy
- Visit one of the world’s smallest countries with a San Marino tour
- Take a truffle hunting tour in Umbria or Piemonte
- Visit Porto Ercole, the idyllic, seaside village in Tuscany where the great Baroque master Caravaggio spent his last days
- Visit the lovely coastal town of Portovenere
- Discover the world-renowned wine regions of Italy: Valpolicella, Prosecco, Chianti, Barolo
FOOD AND DRINK
The gastronomy of Italy is famous all over the world. Italian food and drink will definitely be an added pleasure during your holiday. From regional specialties to the finest seasonal delicacies, you would need a lifetime to sample all the best Italian food, desserts and drinks.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT ITALY
Spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November) are the best times to visit Italy, as those periods have comfortable temperatures and fewer crowds. Wildflowers in early April and rising temperatures through to the end of June are a real draw, while in October, the summer heat eases off, the grape harvest is in full swing and the cities are quieter for sightseeing. In winter (December-February), temperatures in the south remain mild, but it is the off-season, so some attractions have limited opening hours. Still, it is an enjoyable time to explore many of the country’s historical sites. The summer months of July and August see higher temperatures, visitor numbers reach their peak, while most Italians typically go on holiday.
PRIVATE TOUR IDEAS
Look through my selection of personally crafted private tour itineraries to Italy, showcasing the best of Italy. Treat these Tour Ideas as inspiration, because your trip will be customized just for you. Possibilities are endless, as unique as you and your group. Whether you’re a foodie looking to venture off the beaten path or a first-timer aiming to soak up the highlights, a rich, authentic vacation is at your fingertips. Next, see my tour planning process.
With your dedicated Tour Manager you will have insider access to the Italian way of life while they care of every detail on the ground. For those who prefer more independence while traveling, our private trips still offer a full service travel experience with expert planning, on-the-ground support and private guided tours.