Magical Spain, Andalucia, Overview
Oh Spain… how you dazzle us with architectural feats and artistic treats, enrich us with historic treasures and nourish us with sangria and tapas! From charismatic cities full of lively bars and hip galleries, to sleepy villages dotted with white washed houses and olive groves, Spain never fails to open up travelers’ eyes, minds and hearts.
Spain offers some of the richest cultural heritage to be found anywhere in Europe. And, the Andalusia region is an excellent example with its unique blend of Roman, Arab and Catholic inspired influences. A journey along the country roads is one of the best ways to discover the well-known icons as well as the charming lesser-known gems.
Spain conjures images of flamenco dancers, café-lined plazas, white hillside villages, and soaring cathedrals. Beyond these traditional associations, this modern country offers top-notch art museums, inventive cuisine, and exciting nightlife. From the Pyrenees to the coast, its landscapes and varied cultures are worth exploring. Especially enticing is the national insistence on enjoying everyday pleasures. The Spanish live life to its fullest whether they are strolling in the park, pausing for a siesta, lingering over lunch, or dancing until dawn.
Mention Spain and images of bullfighters, colorful flamenco dancers and Don Quixote spring to mind, but take a Travels with Audrey tour of Spain and you will discover so much more. This vacation reveals a strong impact of Moorish as well as Jewish and Christian influences on the history and culture of Spain. Discover the country’s rich cultural heritage, culinary delights in Gibraltar, Ronda, Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Costa del Sol along with some little known gems and a diamond of a capital Malaga. The drive to Gibraltar travels along a landscape that constantly shifts and changes, from orchards of subtropical fruit trees to shimmering white towns, a culture loving metropolis to the cobbled backstreets of a former fishing village. The golden triangle captures all of Andalucía’s big hitter sights in one succinct triangle, including a Gothic cathedral, a Moorish mosque, an illustrious Alhambra, and plenty of opportunities to sample tapas and flamenco. The three cities of Seville, Cordoba and Granada have taken it in turns to direct cultural and political life in Andalucía over the last 1000 years and between them guard a truly golden legacy. This drive also enables you to see snippets of small town beauty and quiet rural life in between. Discover a world of blanched beauty, hilltop history, crag top castles, and mysterious maze-like streets on this mountain flavored drive that weaves together Andalucía’s classic white towns. Old fortifications atop lofty crags soar above whitewashed homes tucked into green cloaked country, a visual spectacle that threads right through this tour of Andalucía’s prettiest Pueblos Blancos.
A parched region fertile with culture, a conquered land that went on to conquer, a fiercely traditional place that has accepted rapid modernization: western Andalucía has multiple faces. Here in the cradle of quintessential Spain, the questions are often as intriguing as the answers. Who first concocted flamenco? How did tapas become a national obsession? Are those really Christopher Columbus bones inside the Seville cathedral? And where on earth did the audacious builders of Cordoba’s Mezquita get their divine inspiration from? Putting together the missing pieces of the puzzle is what makes travel in the region the glorious adventure that it is. Seville is western Andalucía’s Holy Grail, Cordoba is its former roman and Moorish capital, while the white towns will lure you into quieter rural areas.
- Stay in charming hotels in the heart of the cities (Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla).
- Discover slow travel: a perfect balance of sightseeing and time at leisure.
- No rush and on big buses on this true small group tour.
- Enjoy Andalucia with a small group of like-minded travelers of 6 to 12.
- Savor the views from the rock of Gibraltar known in antiquity as the Northern Pillar of Hercules.
- Visit the picturesque white villages perched on dramatic cliff tops (Ronda, Arcos de la Frontera, Frijiliana).
- Visit the enchanting city of Cordoba, whose historic centre is a Unesco world heritage site with a visit to the Mosque of the Caliphs in Cordoba.
- Stroll through the architectural splendours of Seville.
- Be immersed in Moorish-style opulence at Alhambra Palace, a Unesco World heritage site.
- Enjoy the serious culural capital Malaga.
- Explore the heart of Andalusia, where palaces, cathedrals and quaint villages all have a story to tell.
- Soak in the sun on a Costa del Sol beach in Nerja.
- Visit the famous troglodyte quarter of Guadix – A Truly Unique Spanish Experience.
- Hand-picked Insider Experiences and unique venues including a paella cooking lesson, taste local wines and sherries in traditional bodegas, discover how olive oil is made and taste some yourself at an Olive oil mill, watch a soul stirring-Flamenco show with dinner night, a unique visit to an Andalusian stud farm in Jerez de la Frontera and/or bull farm.
- Discovering Spain's Cuisine: Our itinerary includes wonderful experiences with local cuisine as you enjoy a variety of included dinners at authentic Spanish restaurants.
The Beauty You Will Experience: Malaga, Gibraltar, Ronda, Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada and Nerja...
- Private transportation while on tour (air conditioned vans or luxury mini buses)-mineral water on vehicle at all times.
- Transfers from the airport on arrival to your hotel and transfer back to the airport from Nerja.
- 12 nights in hand-picked 3, 4 or 5 star accommodations including daily Breakfast (2 nights Malaga, 1 night Ronda, 1 night Jerez, 2 nights Sevilla, 1 night Cordoba, 2 nights Granada, 2 nights Nerja) standard rooms, suites available at an extra cost.
- Hand-picked Insider Experiences including a paella cooking lesson, taste local wines and sherries in traditional bodegas, discover how olive oil is made and taste some yourself at an Olive oil mill, watch a Flamenco show with dinner night, a unique visit to an Andalusian stud farm and/or bull farm.
- Entrance Fees: Malaga’s Alcazar, Mezquita in Cordoba, Cathedral and Alcazar in Sevilla and the Alhambra in Granada with Generalife, Nerja Caves, Guadix caves.
- Meals: all breakfasts, 1 lunch (cooking class), 5 dinners (1 in Malaga, 1 in Sevilla, 2 in Granada, 1 in Nerja) included meals are shown on the itinerary as B-L-D. Beverages include water, coffee and with some dinners 2-3 glasses of wine per person (choice of red or white). Tour Manager will invite you to join them to unique restaurants each night, regardless of whether the dinner is included or not.
- Free time for you to choose your own optional experiences (options are available at an added cost).
- An expert Tour Manager (driver/guide).
- Private walking tours by Local expert English speaking tour guides in Malaga, Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Guadix.
- Orientations in Ronda, Nerja, Frijiliana.
- Gratuities for drivers and restaurant staff at included meals.
- Customer Loyalty Reward: receive a $200.00 credit towards any future vacations you take with Travels with Audrey.
- Magical Spain, Andalucia, Itinerary
Click here to download a PDF containing the full, day-by-day itinerary and complete details for what is and is not included in the Special Tour: Magical Spain Andalucia.
Tour Price: $4,899 (minimum 6 guests)
USA based on double occupancy. Single supplement applies to anyone traveling alone. Triple/family rooms are possible, but sometimes not available. Prices will be calculated accordingly. Tour starts in Malaga and ends in Nerja. Arrival airport is Málaga Airport, Pablo Ruiz Picasso International Airport (AGP). Click here to download a detailed itinerary and what is and is not included in the price.